Thursday, September 30, 2010

Music is truth....Truth is vulnerability.

Every moment I witness or live, I tend to jot down on paper. I write what I feel, I sing what I write, I access this stage of vulnerability that most hold inside. Vulnerability is a gift and a blessing that we shouldn't be afraid of. Unfortunately, society teaches us to quote and quote "be strong." We mustn't cry or let people know we can feel. We must build a wall around our hearts and guard each breath like it's our last. Never get hurt.
I disagree with what society tries to teach us. Live your life and take chances. You will never love if you're never hurt. You will never be able to win if you can't lose. I learned the hard way that I needed to stop feeding into the judgement and the fake part of this world. I decided to be me....to finally show the world who I am and be exactly what I want to be, rather than what others want me to be. I am me...and you can get to know me through my music. I'm not another pop song, but I could write another pop song. I write through tears, through fear, through love, and loss... and still hope to be accepted. Will I necessarily be? No. Instead, I want to be real. I want to be noticed as an artist who is willing to write with her heart.
I understand that not everyone wants to listen to something truly emotional and vulnerable because it can be uncomfortable to witness what another feels. I write truth and sing honestly. This is me reaching out to others....letting the world know that's ok to be vulnerable. You don't have to be afraid to be yourself. My goal is to help others relate to my music and maybe for just one moment help someone know that it's ok to stop pretending...even if it's for only a minute. I believe that every note tells a story.

1 comment: